Strawberry Cake Ingredients:
- 1/2 Cup Milk-Free, Soy-Free Margarine, softened
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 4 1/2 Cups Cake Flour
- 4 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Fresh Strawberries
Strawberry Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Strawberries (Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Water, If Needed
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients:
- 2/3 Cup Solid Vegetable Shortening
- 1 Box Confectioners Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- This batter can be used to make cupcakes! Simply pour batter into muffin cups until 2/3 full.
- Vanilla frosting works well for making flowers and other decorations. Flavor can be altered by using lemon or orange instead of vanilla.
- Looking to impress? When cakes have cooled, spread a thin layer of frosting on one side of each cake. Choose one cake and add a thin strawberry sauce layer. Then layer with thinly sliced fresh strawberries. Add another thin layer of strawberry sauce. Place second cake frosted side down on top. Frost entire cake as normal. Guests will be pleasantly surprised!
Strawberry Cake Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Using vegetable shortening, grease and lightly flour two, 8 inch, round pans.
- Cream margarine and sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add alternately with water and vanilla.
- Mix well with an electric beater.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool in pans 10 minutes before tranferring to a wire cooling rack.
- Spread strawberry sauce on top of one of the layers.
- Place second cake on top.
- Frost with vanilla frosting.
- Place fresh strawberries in a circle on the top layer.
Strawberry Sauce Instructions:
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries and sugar. Let stand for about 1 hour.
- In a small saucepan, cook berry mixture on medium heat, mashing berries as they cook.
- If berries aren't very juicy, add water, 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Can be served hot or cold.
Vanilla Frosting Instructions:
- Cream shortening and sugar until well blended.
- Add water and beat until smooth.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- After chilling, beat again and add vanilla.
-The Food Allergy News Cookbook