1. Move the pointer down the meter to zero.
2. Do not cover the open vent with your hand.
3. Put peak flow mouth to your mouth.
4. Take a deep breath in.
5. Place the flow meter in your mouth and close your lips tightly around the mouthpiece.
6. Blow air into the tube as hard and fast as you can.
7. Write down the number, reset indicator.
8. Wait 15 seconds and repeat steps 1-6 for 2 more times.
9. Record the highest of the three numbers on your peak flow meter chart or graph.
10. Refer to your asthma crisis management plan after obtaining your reading and follow the instructions for using the correct amount of medication.
11. Do Peak Flow before and 20 minutes after medication.